If you are currently running AutoRank PHP on one of your sites and would like to import it's data into a ToplistX installation, you can use the included arphp-convert.php script to do just that. This document will outline the steps necessary to convert your AutoRank PHP data.
To convert your AutoRank PHP data you will need to be using any version in the 3.0.x series of AutoRank PHP. If you are not using one of these versions, follow the instructions in the AutoRank PHP software manual to upgrade your installation.
The conversion script will convert and import the following data from your AutoRank PHP installation:
- Account Data
- Account Banners
- Account Comments
- Ranking pages and their templates
- Some of the old template variables are no longer available and will not be converted
- Script page templates (account submission form, account maintenance interface, etc) cannot be converted
You will need shell access (through telnet or SSH) to your server to run the conversion script from the command line
The conversion script can be run from the command line of your server, and this is the recommended method if you have a large number of accounts and/or pages to convert (5,000+). The conversion process is the same as listed below, however instead of accessing the conversion script through your browser you will run it from the command line of your server using the PHP CLI executable. The command you will use will be something like this:
/usr/local/bin/php arphp-convert.php /full/path/to/arphp
Where /usr/local/bin/php is the full path to the PHP CLI executable on your server and /full/path/to/arphp is the full path to the AutoRank PHP installation on your server.
Follow the steps below to convert your AutoRank PHP data:
The conversion process will not affect your AutoRank PHP installation. The AutoRank PHP data will be left unchanged and you will be able to continue using AutoRank PHP as normal after the conversion has been completed.
Before you start the conversion you should process all pending and edited accounts in AutoRank PHP. Pending and edited account data will not be copied over to ToplistX, but if you process them first in AutoRank PHP the changes that you make will be imported.
- Install a clean copy of ToplistX on your server using the standard installation instructions. Do not add any
accounts, categories, or setup any pages before you convert your AutoRank PHP data. Anything that you configure in ToplistX will be deleted during
the conversion process. You will need to setup the ToplistX settings through the General Settings interface, however.
- When configuring the ToplistX settings, make sure you use a different Banner URL setting than what your AutoRank PHP installation is currently
configured for. The ToplistX installation should not point to the same Banner URL as your AutoRank PHP installation.
- Once ToplistX is installed and has had it's initial settings configured through the General Settings interface, upload the arphp-convert.php file
from the utilities directory of the ToplistX distribution to the admin directory of your ToplistX installation on your server.
- Point your web browser to the arphp-convert.php script that you uploaded to the admin directory of your ToplistX installation. This will load a
page where you will need to enter the full directory path to the location of the AutoRank PHP installation on your server. This should point to
the directory where the arphp.pl and common.pl files are located.
- Once you have filled in the directory path to your AutoRank PHP installation, you can press the Convert Data button. You will be asked to confirm
that you do want to convert this data.
- The conversion script will run a few tests to make sure you have entered a valid directory path to your AutoRank PHP installation and that you have
the correct version of AutoRank PHP installed. If any errors are encountered, it will display them and terminate the conversion process.
- If all of the pre-conversion tests pass, the script will begin converting your AutoRank PHP data. The conversion process can take anywhere from a few
seconds to several minutes depending on the size of your member database. During the conversion process, the script will output some text to let you know what
it is doing. Don't be alarmed if you don't see any text, as some web servers will wait for the script to complete before outputting the information it is generating.
You can also check the convert.log file which will be located in the data directory of your ToplistX installation.
- When the conversion process is complete you will see a message that says "Data conversion complete!" (check the convert.log file in the data directory of your
ToplistX installation if you don't get output in your browser). You can login to your ToplistX control panel to check
that all of the data has been properly imported.
- Run the Ranking Pages > Recompile Page Templates function to force the software to recompile all of the imported ranking page templates.
- ToplistX uses static ranking pages instead of the dynamic pages that AutoRank PHP used, so the conversion script will setup your ranking pages to be created in a directory named tlx_pages. You can edit your ranking pages through the Manage Pages interface to adjust where they are created on your website.
The above steps will import your members into ToplistX, however your member sites will still have their old links to AutoRank PHP on their sites. To deal with this, ToplistX includes a custom in.php script that you can use to forward surfers automatically to the new ToplistX URL. This is a drop in replacement for the AutoRank PHP in.php script, but will need to be configured before you upload it to your server. You can find the in.php script in the utilities directory of the ToplistX distribution. Open this file in a text editor and set the two variables at the top of the file - each variable has a comment above it that explains how it should be set.
Once the variables have been set, upload the in.php script to your server replacing the AutoRank PHP in.php script.